Stress balls, also known as squeeze balls, are some of the widely used fidget toys that are used to relieve stress. These squishy balls are made of materials like foam, gel, slime, clay, etc.
In this article, you will learn:
- Stress Ball Meaning
- Do Stress Balls Work?
- Best Stress Balls to Relieve Stress
- The Stress Ball Benefits
- Stress Balls FAQs
Stress is a natural reaction to routine pressures. You feel stressed before a presentation resulting in sweaty hands. Or you have butterflies in your stomach when sitting for an exam or an interview. We all feel mild stress in normal situations like these. This is positive stress as it acts in your favor. Stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol are released which push us to give our best and get things done. However, you may feel stress due to negative outcomes like the ill health of a loved one, your low income, etc.
Be it mild stress or stress due to negative circumstances. It can turn into chronic stress if you are exposed to life stressors over a prolonged period of time.
Furthermore, chronic stress can cause serious physical and mental problems if you don’t do anything about it. Therefore, it is important for you to learn relaxation techniques that help you cope with stress.
One of the inexpensive and widely used stress management techniques is the use of squishy stress balls.
Stress Ball Meaning
Stress balls, also known as squeeze balls, are some of the widely used fidget toys that are used to relieve stress. These squishy balls are made of materials like foam, gel, slime, clay, etc, and are squeezed using hands and fingers. Accordingly, the repetitive squeeze and release motion achieved by these squishy balls help to reduce tension in muscles when under stress.
Furthermore, some of the best stress balls come in a range of sizes and colors and are of various types. For instance, you get the squishy ball with net, mesh ball, funny balls, egg ball, motivational gel balls, etc. These are convenient to use in office environments and schools.
But, are stress balls effective?
Do Stress Balls Work?
As per a study, sixth graders with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) showed less off-task behaviors and increased learning and attention. This is when they used stress balls during both instructional and independent learning. This is because children with ADHD are constantly fidgeting. Fidgeting with a fidget toy like a squishy gel ball helped them redirect their energy to the stress balls, letting them reduce stress and concentrate.
Likewise, as per another study into expressive stress relievers, the simple repetitive squeeze and release motion of gel balls can reduce stress.
Accordingly, some of the best stress balls are used by companies to help their employees squeeze out work-related stress.
How Do Stress Balls Help You?
You must note that your body undergoes a range of physiological changes like sweating, increased heart rate, muscle tension, etc when exposed to stress. This range of changes is called stress-response. Now, you must note that the stress response helped in the survival of our ancestors as it prepared them for ‘fight or flight’. Stressors involve the automatic release of adrenaline and noradrenaline which result in bodily changes.
Furthermore, stressors lead to the stimulation of the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA axis). Now, the activation of the HPA axis further results in the release of hormones like adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol into your bloodstream. Further, cortisol impacts your body in a variety of ways. For instance, it increases blood flow to muscles as well as glucose in the blood. Now, both increased blood flow and glucose act as energy boosters. That is, they help you to deal with stressors. For instance, it helped our ancestors to endure physical pain such as running away from the predators to save themselves from being eaten away.
However, today’s life stressors do not involve threats like physical attacks from animals. We have challenges like layoffs, poor relationships, bad health, etc which give us stress and emotional imbalance. And such automatic biological responses to stressors severely impact our physical and mental health. This is because increased energy as a result of stress hormones does not get a vent out. And therefore, it takes the form of modern-day issues like anger, hypertension, anxiety, depression, etc.
This is where the squeeze balls or stress balls come in handy. The repeated squeeze and release motion of the squishy stress balls increases blood circulation and helps to direct the energy so released to the stress ball.
In this article, we will let you know some of the best stress balls that you can buy to relieve stress. Further, you will also learn the benefits of stress balls and if stress balls are good for anxiety?
Best Stress Balls to Relieve Stress
As stated earlier, stress balls come in a variety of colors and sizes. Simply squeeze these squishies between your fingers when frustrated by life’s stressors. Here’s a list of the 20 best stress balls you can choose from to relieve stress and anxiety.
1. Arggh Giant Stress Ball For Adults and Kids – Jumbo Squishy Stress Ball Fidget Toy
Image Courtesy: Amazon Squeeze, stretch, and smash this giant relief ball every time you undergo stress, anger, or anxiety. This anti-stress ball has a non-toxic gel inside which makes it safe to be used by both kids and adults. The outer layer of this squishy ball is made of rubber, making it super easy and safe for both kids and adults to squeeze, smash, and stretch. Thus, this Arggh giant stress ball is ideal for releasing both physical and emotional stress. Further, this stress ball for kids is a fidget toy that helps children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), and Autism. That is, it helps them release stress and concentrate. So, squeeze, concentrate, breath, and repeat this squeeze and release motion to vent out stress. Important Specifications
- This giant fidget toy is 5 inches in diameter
- It changes into beautiful colors when you squeeze, smash, or stretch
- It is ideal for ages 8 years and above
- The giant-sized squishy ball is made of gel which is non-toxic. Thus, it’s super safe to smash and stretch for both kids and adults
How to Care?
- Make sure you smash and stretch the Arggh ball gently. This will make the gel ball last longer.
- Do not puncture, twist, or rip off the seal. For it will damage your stress ball
- Yes, the outer layer is made of rubber. So, it can get dirty. Accordingly, you can wash the stress ball with dish soap and warm water. Then, gently dry it with hot air and apply baby powder to make it a good as new.
What We Liked?
The beautiful colors the ball makes when you squeeze it.
- The company promises to refund your money in case you’re aren’t happy with the squishy fidget toy.
2. Serenilite Hand Therapy Stress Ball
Serenilite offers ergonomic, high-quality hand therapy stress balls that help you relax, relieve stress, and manage anxiety. The stress ball is has a tear-resistant gel inside and is covered with a non-sticky, dual-colored fabric. This makes it highly durable and makes for good grip and comfort.
These therapeutic stress balls allow you to strengthen your fingers, forearms, and hands with a simple squeeze. They are smooth and maintain their shape once released. Also, these make for ideal stress balls for adults as they can relieve stress and reduce physical aches. Further, these stress relief balls help in reducing carpal tunnel and arthritis symptoms.
The squeeze and release motion helps to improve blood circulation in your hands and fingers, thus bracing your grip, joints, and muscles. It also makes for an excellent stress ball for kids as fidgeting allows them to relieve tension and increase focus. This specifically helps children with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and ADHD.
- Each Serenilite hand therapy stress ball is 2.4 inches in diameter
- It is smooth and combines both physical and color therapy to help you relieve both physical and mental tension
- It is made of dual-colored fabric, has a tear-resistant gel inside. This makes for excellent grip.
How to Care
- Repeated use may make the stress ball dirty. Use dish soap and water to wash it.
What We Liked
- The high quality and its ergonomic design. It’s made to fit in your hands and keeps its shape.
- The company offers a lifetime warranty for these stress balls, which reveals the confidence it has in its premium quality product.
3. Stress Less Stress Balls – Stress Balls With Motivational Quotes
Want a fidget toy that not only helps you to vent out stress but also motivates you just when you need some? Well, if that is the case, Stress Less balls are the best. This is because these are stress relief balls with inspirational quotes that not only help you relieve tension but also motivate you during dull days.
Further, these are ideal for gifting to employees, students, and co-workers as they can deal with stress and anxiety. Also, these act as outstanding exhibits for their home or office desks.
In addition to this, these stress balls with motivational quotes are ideal balls for kids. The squeezing and releasing of these stress balls helps children with ADHD and stress to relax and focus.
- These stress balls are made of Polyurethane foam making them spongey and easy to squeeze
- Each ball is 2.5 inches in diameter
- These stress-relief balls come in a pack of three, each having different motivational quotes printed. These quotes are “Life is a journey not a race”, “choose Happy”, and “live More worry Less”
How to Care
- The motivational quotes printed on the gel balls may come-off. So, squeeze with care.
What we Liked
- These balls with motivational quotes come in a cute canister, beautiful colors, and inspirational sayings. This makes it perfect for gifting.
- You not only relieve stress but also get to read motivational sayings which is certainly a plus. This is especially great for days when life tries to put you down
4. MindPanda 3X Empowering Gel Stress Ball Bundle
If you’re looking for a classic stress ball bundle for your employees, coworkers, or psychology friends, the MindPanda Stress Ball bundle is for you. These MindPanda fidget balls have some empowering questions printed on them that remind you of things that you should focus on. So, you can no only relieve tension but also budge pessimist thoughts with these empowering questions.
The MindPanda Stress Ball bundle is a pack of three stress balls. Each stress ball has a different firmness level, that is, ‘soft’, ‘medium’, and ‘hard’. Accordingly, you can choose between the stress balls depending on the firmness level that suits you. Further, these are great for building grip, hand mobility, and help circulate blood to your fingers, hands, and forearms. It is ideal for providing relief to people with symptoms of arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. Finally, these are scented stress balls that further help you to reduce anxiety and stress while you squish.
- These fidget balls come with empowering questions. So, you squish to release stress and at the same time interrupt pessimist thoughts that hold you back from functioning in day-to-day life.
- Each stress ball in this bundle of three has its own fragrance that allows you to relax while you squeeze. The fragrances include lemon (for soft stress ball), jasmine (for medium), and rosemary (for hard).
- The bundle also comes with a hand exercise guide that contains various hand strengthening exercises.
- The outer layer is made out of lycra that encases a tear-resistant TPR gel. Therefore, you can squish and squeeze to strengthen your grip and vent out stress and anxiety.
- These stress balls are non-toxic and BPA-free.
- You also get a ’20 Day Stress-Less Challenge e-book free.
What We Liked
- The MindPanda Stress Ball bundle is an absolute joy. We loved the theme, scents, premium quality, packaging, and everything that makes this bundle.
5. The Friendly Swede Hand Grip Strength Trainer, Stress Balls for Adults and Kids
A standard size fidget ball may not fit into our hands and between the fingers. Likewise, a standard firmness level too may not suit your needs. For instance, your kid with ADHD may need a softer stress ball for relieving stress. Whereas, you may need a firm fidget ball to reduce symptoms of arthritis or strengthening your hand grip. This is where The Friendly Swede Hand Grip Strength Trainer outshines its peers.
These egg-shaped stress balls are extremely comfortable and fit easily in your hands. These hand therapy ball squishies come in three different sizes as well as firmness levels. Accordingly, you can choose between the size and the resistance levels that best solve your needs. Thus, you can use them for strengthening your fingers, forearms, and wrists. This is useful for people who want to lift weights and are just starting out. Likewise, these stress balls for kids can be used to help them relieve stress and increase focus on the task at hand as they fidget.
Further, you can use them to increase muscle flexibility and get relief from joint pains. Also, these stress balls are an ideal distraction for quitting habitual urges.
- The set of 3 hand therapy ball squishy comes in three levels of firmness. These include Soft – 20 lb, Medium – 30 lb, and Firm – 40 lb. Accordingly, you can choose between the various resistance levels depending on your needs.
ese stress balls also come in different sizes. They include Extra Small (XS) – 2”x1.3”, Small (S) – 2.5″ x 1.75″, and Large (L) – 3.0″ x 2.2″. Therefore, you get on the stress ball for every member of the family.
- They are made of thermoplastic rubber (TRP) and are latex and BPA-free. This makes these fidget balls safe for use both by kids and adults.
How to Care
- You can clean them easily as the stress balls are made of TRP.
- Make sure you’re extremely careful when allowing your kids to use these fidget balls for stress relief. Guide your children on how to use these squishies as they may lead to choking if they put them into their mouth.
What We Liked
- The Friendly Swede has been very particular about the custom needs of end-users. Stress balls with different resistance levels allow you to grow from softest to firmest level.
- Various sizes of the stress balls also are a plus. You can choose the one that best fits into your hands.
- The company provides a lifetime warranty for these fidget balls.
6. Neliblu Smiley Balls for Kids and Adults
These are funny stress balls that help you to vent out tension and at the same time help you weave positive thoughts by smiling back at you. The happy faces printed on these squeeze balls will make you smile the moment you look at them. The science behind this says that the very act of smiling triggers neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin that boost your mood. So, it’s a natural way to lighten up your mood.
So, use these smiley balls to relieve stress and enhance your concentration as you take out all your energy on these squishies. These stress smile squeeze balls are therapeutic as they also help children with ADHD and autism to relax and focus.
- These stress balls for kids and adults are 2 inches in diameter.
- The smiley face helps acts as a mood booster for it triggers a smile on your face. And the very act of smiling uplifts the mood.
What We Liked
- The very fact that these stress balls can change your mood while you relieve stress.
7. Teacher Peach Motivational Stress Ball Assortment, 3 Pack, Stress Relief Toys for Kids and Adults
Teacher Peach motivational stress balls are foam squeeze balls that are the ultimate stress relievers. You can release your tension, stress, or anxiety, and at the same time motivate yourself with the positive quotes imprinted on these fidget toys. Simply squeeze while at home or work, encourage positive thoughts and naturally relieve stress. These are made of polyurethane, so these are foam squeeze balls that are soft and durable. So, you can safely squish and squeeze and release energy for stress relief.
Further, these make for great stress balls for kids with ADHD, anger, and anxiety issues. It redirects their energy to the fidget toy and allows them to focus and increase on-task behaviors.
- Each fidget ball is 2.5 inches in diameter.
- The pack includes 3 foam squeeze balls, each having a different motivational saying.
What We Liked
- Relax and encourage uplifting thoughts as you squish. It’s like a natural stress reliever.
8. StringyBall: Secure Stress Balls on a String
We use stress balls at home, have them in our cars, or at our office desks for stress reduction. But, we smash and squish, we may end up exerting the pressure way too hard. This makes our stress ball fall or roll away as we squish. This is where StringyBall outshines the standard stress balls. It gives you an added advantage of convenience over the other, typical perks of a stress ball.
Accordingly, the string or chord allows you to fasten the StringBall around your wrist or palm. This makes it easier for you to undertake even the complex exercises for you know the ball has no chance of slipping or falling.
Further, StringyBall is ideal for hand strengthening necessary for individuals enduring arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, injuries, and post-surgery rehabilitation. Thus, undertaking various exercises using the StringyBall helps you manage symptoms of the carpal tunnel such as tingling, pain, reduces arthritis pain and inflammation, and helps strengthen grip and forearm muscles.
In addition to this, you can reduce stress as it helps to redirect your attention, increases blood circulation, and reduces muscle tension. It’s also an ideal stress ball for kids as it helps manage stress in kids with ADHD, autism, anxiety issues.
- The stress balls are made of thermoplastic rubber. So, they are latex-free, BPA-free, and non-toxic which makes them safe for use by kids and adults.
- The StringyBall comes attached with a fastener and flexible rope that easily slips into your palms and wrists. Thus, you can pull off difficult exercises with ease.
- The pack of three comes in three firmness levels. Each ball has a different density including sot, medium, and firm. Accordingly, you can start with the soft level and progress as you build a stronger grip.
What We Liked
- The added benefit of convenience is great. The flexible rod and fastener make you do a lot more from your stress ball.
- The pack of three stress balls with varying densities makes it ideal for you as well as other members of your family.
- You also get a pictorial guide that contains exercises that you can undertake to relieve stress.
9. PP PHIMOTA 28 Pack Sensory Toys Set
If you’re looking for a sensory toy set that has an assortment of fidget toys, PP PHIMOTA pack is for you. It has a good collection of fidget toys that you can use to reduce stress, redirect your attention to these fidget toys, and help your brain to relax and focus.
The assortment of sensory toys is a great deal for children with ADHD, OCD, autism, anxiety issues.
- The pack contains 28 fidget toys like Moshi squishies, infinity cube, world map foam ball, football foam ball, fidget spinners, etc.
- These toys are non-toxic and are made of thermoplastic polyurethane, thermoplastic rubber, and silicone.
What We Liked
- Relax your muscles, relieve stress with a great assortment of fidget toys. At the same time, use the sensory toys in this value pack can as rewards, pinata fillers, etc.
10. Lavender Luvies Lavender Scented Stress Ball for Anxiety and Stress Relief
Lavender Luvies scented stress balls help you undertake aromatherapy stress relief. These handcrafted stress balls smell of lavender as you squeeze and release to do away with stress. Lavender is known for its calming properties and serves as a natural anti-depressant. It helps you to relax and soothe your mind.
So, simply squeeze the stress ball, smell the lavender, and vent out all your anxiety and stress.
- Each ball is about 2 inches in diameter.
- The outer material of the lavender stress ball is made of cotton/lycra which encases dried lavender.
What We Liked
- The fact that these are aromatherapy stress balls that use lavender fragrance which in itself is an anti-anxiety relaxant. The more you squeeze, the more soothing fragrance it releases.
11. Crochet Worry Whale Stress Ball
What better way to beat stress than having a cute stress ball buddy for squishing. This crochet stress ball by Raeesaart is a handcrafted crochet worry whale that will help you vent out stress and anxiety. A look at this cute stress ball will in itself reduce all your stress and anxiety.
- This worry ball is made of velvet yarn which makes it super soft.
- The crochet stress ball is handmade and is 2.5 inches wide.
What We Liked
- Can’t take our eyes off these cute and soft squishy stress balls. A look at these crochet worry balls is in itself is so relaxing.
12. Gaiam Restore Hand Therapy Exercise Ball Kit
Gaiam Restore line offers products for wellness and these hand therapy balls are ideal for stress relief, physical therapy, and joint pain relief.
These hand therapy balls help you strengthen your fingers, forearms, and hands by taking up certain hand exercises. Further, these also provide relief from joint pains like arthritis and carpal tunnel and enhance flexibility. Also, the pack of three comes with three firmness levels. Thus, you can start with the soft stress ball with lesser density and eventually progress towards the high-resistance stress ball.
- Each stress ball in the pack of three is 2 inches in diameter.
- These hand therapy balls are made of TPR synthetic rubber.
- The three color-coded stress balls have different resistance levels so that you can use them to fit your needs.
- These stress balls are ideal for ages 13 and above. So, make sure you keep them out of the reach of children.
How to Care
- Use a towel to dry these hand therapy balls once you use them.
- Do not expose them to heat and excessive sunlight and store them in a cool, dry place.
What We Liked
- Varying resistance levels are a plus as they can be used by you and other members of your family to meet different needs.
- It comes with a free pictorial full-color exercise guide that contains that you can perform daily for stress reduction and hand therapy.
13. Dimples Excel Stress Ball for Adults and Kids
These are egg stress balls that come with a matte texture that perfectly fit in your hands and make for great stress reliever toys for adults and kids. Dimples Excel stress balls come in a pack of three with each tress ball having a different resistance level. This makes it ideal for use by any member of the family depending on the varying needs.
Further, these egg-shaped therapy balls also come in two different sizes. Thus, you can buy the one that suits you best. These egg stress balls help you to relax muscle tension, reduce stress, strengthen your handgrip, and provide relief from joint pain. Also, these serve as the perfect fidget toys to quit habitual urges. In addition to this, these hand therapy balls are made of skin-safe rubber that helps in retaining their shape even after regular use.
- These egg stress balls come in three resistance levels including soft – 20 lb, medium – 30 lb, and firm – 40 lb.
- Dimples Excel stress balls also come in two different sizes including small – 2.5″ x 1.75″ and large – 3.0″ x 2.2″.
- These therapy balls are made of thermoplastic rubber which is skin-safe and its egg-shaped design with matte texture makes them fit easily in your hands.
What We Liked
- The egg design with texture makes these stress balls fit comfortably in your palms.
- These make for a good family pack given they come in different resistance levels.
- The two sizes available also give you the advantage to go for the one that best fulfills your needs.
14. IMPRESA Stress Relief Balls
IMPRESA squeezy stress balls are some of the best stress balls that are ideal for both kids and adults. Made of 100% Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR) and hypoallergenic, they are free from harmful chemicals like latex, BPA, and phthalates.
Thus, no matter how much you squish, squeeze, or smash, this stress relief ball turns back to its original shape. Further, these are non-breakable squishy balls as they are tear-resistant. This makes them strong, durable, and safe stress balls for kids and adults.
Being non-toxic and durable, these make for great stress balls for kids with OCD, ADHD, ADD, autism, and anxiety issues. These help children with the above issues to relax and redirect all their energy to the stress ball. Thus, children can focus and reduce tension as they squeeze this fidget toy.
- They are non-toxic as they do not have harmful additives like BPA, latex, and phthalates.
- These stress balls come in a pack of three including red, yellow, and blue.
- Each ball is 25″ in diameter
How to Care
- You can wash these squishy balls with dish soap and warm water, air-dry, and apply baby powder to make them as good as new.
What We Liked
- They are squishy, non-toxic, and durable.
15. HandStands Cyber Gel Squeeze Ball
These are gel squeeze balls that give you therapeutic stress relief as you squeeze endlessly. The out layer is made out of lycra which encases a semi-solid gel made of recycled materials. This is a non-toxic gel which makes them ideal stress balls for kids and adults.
Further, the lycra covering and the round shape make the ball soft, comfortable, and ergonomic.
- The round shape and lycra covering make the ball soft and ergonomic.
- This stress ball has a semi-solid gel inside which is non-toxic
What We Liked
- The ergonomic design, the soft fabric cover, and the non-toxic filling inside.
16. Isoflex Hand Therapy and Exercise Ball
These Isoflex hand therapy and exercise balls come in a pack of two and are ideal squeeze balls for stress relief. You get any of the two colors in the pack including green, purple, red, or blue with one ball in solid color and the other one marbelized. Further, these stress relief toys help you to vent out anxiety and tension for these squeeze balls contain microbeads. Thus, you are able to relax and enhance your focus and concentration.
Also, apart from reducing emotional tension, these stress balls help in strengthening the forearms, fingers, and muscles. In addition to this, squeezing these hand therapy balls also helps in reducing the symptoms of arthritis, joint pains, and carpal tunnel, kids with ADHD, anxiety, and autism.
- Isoflex stress balls have a double lining of latex which makes them highly durable.
What We Liked
- The microbeads inside the stress balls help you to soothe. You also get a complete guide to hand therapy which contains exercises that you can undertake using these stress balls.
17. Chill Pill Stress Ball Toys
These are cute stress balls that make for an ideal gift for doctors, medical students, or anyone who needs to relax. Chill Pill squeeze balls are foam stress balls that come in a pack of six.
What We Liked
- The Chill Pill stress toy is very cute and makes for a perfect gift for anyone who needs to chill.
18. Peradix Hand Grip Strength Trainer, Stress Relief Ball for Adults and Kids
Whether you need to vent out stress, strengthen your hand and forearm muscles, or get relief from arthritis pain, Peradix egg stress balls pack of three is what you need. The three balls are color-coded for the three levels of progression. Therefore, these stress balls are ideal for stress relief, enhancing hand grip and muscle strength, overcoming habitual urges, etc.
Further, these squeeze balls are made of Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR) which makes them safe for use for both kids and adults. The small size of these squishies makes them easy to carry anywhere and the egg shape makes the stress balls fit easily in your hands. Also, they are non-sticky and odor-free.
- The pack contains three stress balls in the colors yellow, blue, and red. Each color signifies a different resistance level. Yellow is soft, ideal for kids and individuals who want to relieve stress and anxiety. Red is medium and is good for arthritis pain and working men and women. Likewise, blue is hard and is good for individuals who want to strengthen handgrip and forearm muscles.
- These stress balls are made of TPR which makes them both safe and durable.
- No smell, no stickiness.
- These squeeze balls come back to their original shape after use.
How to Care
- These squishies may get dirty after repetitive use. You can simply rinse it with water to get rid of the dirt and fluff.
What We Liked
- The ergonomic design and the varying progression levels make it an ultimate family pack.
19. Crayola Globbles, Squish & Fidget Toys
Crayola Globbles stress balls are non-stop fun. These squishy balls come in six lively colors and are highly satisfying. You can squish, stick, and sling these squeeze balls and vent out all your stress and anxiety. Despite being sticky, they do not leave any mark behind. So, sling, lang, and stick without any worries.
- These balls are certified non-toxic. Therefore, this makes it safe for use by both kids and adults.
- This squish toy is for ages 4 years and above. Thus, it should be kept away from small children below 3 years for the small ball may lead to choking.
How to Care
- You can simply wash these squish toys with soap and water to get rid of dirt after repetitive use.
What We Liked
- You can stick them without the worry of any mark being left behind. The stickiness doesn’t go even when you wash it with water to remove dirt.
20. Giant Stress Ball
These oversized stress balls are ideal for squeezing, fidgeting, and pounding on to relieve all your stress and anxiety. These gigantic two-handed stress balls are 6 inches in diameter and help increase blood circulation to your arms and hands. Further, these are ideal for reducing symptoms of carpal tunnel and arthritis.
- The Giant Stress Balls are made of rubber
- These are ideal for stress relief for ages 8 years and above
The Stress Ball Benefits
The earliest form of stress relief balls includes the Baoding balls also known as the Chinese meditation balls. These were made out of metal and were rolled in hands for stress relief. Today, you can find a variety of Baoding balls made out of stones such as marble, jade, agate, etc.
Furthermore, the Baoding balls function in a set of two. That is, two balls are rolled in one hand simultaneously. And such a rolling helps in increasing blood circulation.
Now, the modern-day stress balls were invented by Alex Carswell in the year 1988. The 29-year-old TV writer had a heated conversation with his boss over a phone call. Alex got so upset that he threw a marker and broke into pieces the picture of his mother. This led him to invent the squeeze balls to prevent further damage to the property. These squishy balls indeed were a great creation for they have been beneficial in a number of ways. Let’s have a look at some of the important stress ball benefits.
- Reduces Stress Various aspects of your life such as work, relationships, income, health, etc give you stress today. Some of the indicators of acute stress include loss of focus and concentration, loss of interest in work, mood swings, anxiety, etc. And continuous stress over an extended period of time can be very damaging. For instance, you may suffer from hypertension, heart strokes, diabetes, gastrointestinal issues, etc. This is where stress balls can really help. As you squish, your brain gets busy with processing the squeeze and release action. Thus, you are able to reroute all your anxiety and negative thoughts to the stress balls. Further, squeezing increases blood flow which means more brain oxygen and reduced muscle tension. This is because for the moment, squeezing a stress ball helps you to vent out increased energy released by the activation of hormones when under stress. It may not be a long-term solution, but it certainly works to reduce the momentary muscle tension.
- Facilitates Rehabilitation Apart from reducing stress, stress balls also help in rehabilitation. Individuals who have undergone surgery, suffer from symptoms of arthritis and Carpal Tunnel or have high physical needs require hand strengthening. Thus, the squeeze and release motion so achieved by the stress balls helps in enhancing handgrip and muscle strength.
- Develops Muscle Memory Your brain stores memories of various muscle actions you take up like walking, talking, playing guitar, etc. And when you undertake these actions repeatedly, you are able to carry them out with ease and without much thought. When it comes to musicians, this muscle memory helps them to play instruments without much thought and effort. This is because they practice for longer periods which makes them play with ease. But such a muscle memory needs to be maintained. For, lack of practice can make them impair their performance. This is where stress balls come to the rescue as they help in enhancing hand flexibility and coordination which help musicians pull off good music.
- Improves Blood Circulation The repetitive squeeze and release motion achieved by the stress balls helps in working out of the hand and forearm muscles. This helps in the moving of the stagnant blood as poor blood flow through hands can prevent them from proper functioning.
- Manages Arthritis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome As mentioned above, regular exercises using stress balls can strengthen joints, provide pain relief, reduce symptoms of arthritis and carpal tunnel. Arthritis impacts the joints and leads to weak muscles, tiredness, and difficulty in movement. It is of various types and as such, there is no treatment available for the same. In severe cases, surgery is what is suggested to manage arthritis. However, symptoms of arthritis can be controlled via regular exercise. And this is where stress balls play a key role. These help in reducing pain, strengthening muscles, lowering inflammation which aids in reviving mobility. Likewise, carpal tunnel symptoms too can be reduced by rolling and squeezing the stress balls.
- Enhances Finger Strength and Hand Grip We need a strong hand grip and finger strength to carry a number of tasks in day-to-day life. Also, professionals undertaking demanding physical work like musicians, athletes, etc need strong handgrips and fingers. With a modern lifestyle, poor nutrition, and lack of finger and hand movement, both our finger muscles and handgrip tend to weaken. This is where stress balls come in handy. Regular exercises using stress balls can enhance handgrip and help budge anxious thoughts. This leads to stable moods which further results in enhanced muscle power.
Stress Balls FAQs
- What is Inside a Stress Ball? Most balls contain either Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR) gel or Polyurethane foam inside. The outer layer is typically made of rubber to avoid the material inside from leaking. However, certain scented balls have the outer layer made of fabric such as lycra which encases the gel. Further, as mentioned above, some stress balls are even latex and BPA free which makes them non-toxic and safe for use by both kids as well as adults.
- Are Relief Balls Good for Anxiety? Yes, balls are ideal for relieving stress and anxiety. They engage the anxious side of your brain as you squish and squeeze and thus help you focus on the given task. Thus, balls help you to calm down and relax and concentrate on the task at hand.
- What are the Various Relief Ball Exercises? There are a number of exercises that you can undertake to improve muscle strength and handgrip or simply relieve tension. Here are some of the sources from which you can learn about various ball exercises:
Also Read: Best Paint By Numbers Kit for Stress Relief